Jay and I watched a video about Hazbin Hotel years ago on YouTube, and had been meaning to watch the full Amazon release for some time now. But when he asked me out of the blue if I was ready to do that, it definitely took me by surprise. But of course I agreed. I've wanted to watch this for years. And I'd done a good job at avoiding spoilers, too.
I've always been a fan of stories where those our society would perceive as the villains suddenly get a chance to be the hero. The idea that it is one's own perception of good and evil that set the definition of those things for us as an interesting concept, in my opinion. And Hazbin Hotel is definitely not afraid to play with that concept in some fun and interesting ways.
But ultimately, did Hazbin Hotel rise to the occasion and potential of its premise, or did it plummet to earth like a smoldering pile of trash? Read on and find out.
In an attempt to find a non-violent alternative for reducing Hell's overpopulation, the daughter of Lucifer opens a rehabilitation hotel that offers a group of misfit demons a chance at redemption.
My Thoughts:
Even the most evil of men has a dog who loves him. For the vast majority of my time as a writer, this has been my philosophy when writing villains or antagonists. And that is the core theme that I walked away with when I watched the first season of Hazbin Hotel.
The first thing you have to keep in mind if you are going to watch this series in good faith is that we are watching it from the perspective of the denizens of Hell. And the reality of heaven and hell, as presented in this narrative, is not really faithful to a strictly biblical interpretation. Meaning: the people of heaven are often portrayed as dickheads here. And the people of hell are being held to a series of rules they had no role in constructing. Further, and most important, the leadership in heaven is actively participating in a genocide of the citizens of Hell, with the point obviously being that these heavenly citizens are not actually pious, just, or pure. They're just in power.
I'm laying this all out here because I hear a lot of whining and moaning about how this story is an attack on Christianity, which is a total load of crap. By having heaven be obviously portrayed in the most cartoonishly villainous way possible, I feel the series makes it clear that this is not supposed to be a real interpretation of anything. Rather, it uses concepts many people know, twisting them to examine the flaws that can immerge when the ideas of purity and righteousness--especially when applied to people who had no skin in the game--happens.
The characters we meet in Hell are legitimately fucked up, and they do not apologize about that. However, as the series goes on and characters have time to shift and grow, we see them develop bonds of friendship and loyalty, consider what it means to offer and accept forgiveness, learn to trust others, and more. By having every character be off the wall in one way or another, Hazbin Hotel uses its larger than life personalities to actually do soime legitimately well written examination at core elements of the human experience.
Another thing I found really cool about this show is that it is actually an eight episode musical, and the songs actually move the plot along while being fun and catchy. Given Charlie's--our main character--personality this fits perfectly and adds an additional layer of warmth and emotion to what is happening in each episode.
Personally, my favorite character is Alastor, the Radio Demon. Of all the characters present he is the one who intrigues me the most, especially given what happened in the last couple episodes. He seems to have a backstory full of treachery and brutality, while currently working with Charlie and Vaggie to get the hotel off the ground. I am curious to see how his characterization will progress as the series continues, because of everyone presented, he's the character that I feel could pose the greatest threat. Though it does seem he has issues of his own and something he, too, is trying to overcome.
Worth a Watch?
Hazbin Hotel is a masterclass in the art of contrast. It takes the darkness and depravity one would expect of hell, and balances it against Disney Princess type musical numbers, a bubbly and kind hearted protagonist and a cast that shows, through their actions, that anyone can undergo true change and redemption while not losing the core of who hey are in the process. It had me feeling everything from joy, to tears, to moments where I just couldn't stop laughing. If you haven't watched it yet, run to Amazon Prime and change that. You won't regret it.
No comments:
Post a Comment